Jobs for August
August is here and our gardens are at full swing, Summer is well underway. There are lots to do in the garden this month.
Plant your autumn bulbs such as Colchicum, Crocus and Nerine.
- Prune back your lavender with an inch of new growth once flowered.
- Keep cutting back your perennials as they finish flowering.
- Now’s a good time to give your hedges a final trim.
- If you have patches in your grass you can sow grass seeds in late August.
- If you have a summer meadow and its finished for the season mow it and remove the arising’s.
- Any container grown Camellias need to not be allowed to dry out as they are producing next years flower buds.
- Continue to pick your vegetables especially the fast growing ones that will continue to produce fruit after you have picked it.
- You can now pick you main crop potatoes.
- Prune your fruited canes of summer fruiting raspberries.
- If your growing sweet corn harvest them when they are ready.
- Some people like to grow green manure crops such as mustard that can be dug in over the autumn to help improve the soil.
- You can harvest your onions when the stems have gone dry and papery.
- If you want salad onions for next year now is a good time to plant them.